- B.Sc. (Eng.), Civil & Environmental Engineering, University of Newcastle, U.K.
- Ph.D., Public Health (Environmental) Engineering, Imperial College, University of London
- DIC, Imperial College of Science and Technology, UK
- Fellow, The Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (FHKIE)
- Fellow, Hong Kong Concrete Institute
- Wimpey Laboratories Ltd., Researcher (1982-1985)
- Oxford University, Research Fellow (1985-1987)
- Hong Kong Polytechnic, Researcher (1988-1989)
- ERL (Asia) Ltd., Senior Consultant (1989)
- Environmental Protection Department, Hong Kong Government, Environmental Protection Officer (1989-1991)
- Lecturer, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, then University Lecturer (1992) University Senior Lecturer, then Associate Professor and Professor (1994-2015)
- Chair Professor of Sustainable Construction Materials, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (2015-date)
- Changjiang Chair Professor (2017-date)
Major External Awards
- Gold Award: 6th China International Invention Exhibition Awards, 2008
- Guangdong Province Science and Technology Award, 2015, First Prize
- CIC (Construction Industry Council) Innovation Award, 2015, Second Prize
- Hong Kong Green Building Council, Green Building Award (Building Products and Technologies Category) 2016, Merit.
- Hong Kong Award for Environmental Excellence, Hong Kong Green Innovations Awards, 2017, Bronze.
- Gold Medal, 45th International Exhibition of Inventions of Geneva, Switzerland, 2017
- Changjiang Scholar Chair Professor, 2017
- State Technological Innovation Award 2017 (2nd Prize)